Supervisor of the DNA Sequencing Lab as part of a global Biotech group’s highly automated gene synthesis operations. You would work closely with the leadership team, research associates/technicians, and laboratory assistants in a multi-disciplinary manufacturing environment.
Your role will include supporting the daily operations, maintenance, and systematic workflow of the DNA sequencing facility. You will train and supervise Lab Assistants and Technicians, coordinating with the relevant stakeholders in the manufacturing operations, and also set up efficient scheduling of sequencing workflow for a minimum turnaround time. You will also be expected to help with the data analysis/bioinformatics of full DNA/plasmid sequencing data.
- Supervision of the site sequencing personnel, equipment, materials and processes to ensure stable and orderly daily production.
- Utilise strong understanding of Sanger and Next Generation Sequencing(NGS) workflows, preparing DNA sequencing samples by organizing and setting up sequencing reactions, scheduling sequencing runs on DNA analyzers.
- Optimization of sequencing reactions, making use of automated liquid handlers.
- Overseeing analysis of sequencing results, generating test reports, and providing technical guidance to guide team members.
- Evaluation of sequencing run results, and coordinate with the data analysis group.
- Drive improvements to quality standards in sequence data generation, leading key projects to continuously optimize sequencing workflow.
- Undertake instrument calibrations and regular maintenance, including but not limited to DNA analyzers, acting as liaison with outside vendors for the relevant instrumentation.
- Troubleshoot instrument performance issues, making recommendations and/or adjustments to improve work efficiency.
- Execute SOPs through training and supervision. Continuously optimize operating procedures to improve efficiency.
- Team building and management, including 5S, quality data generation, safety, and morale. Troubleshooting poor performances and providing appropriate training.
- Keeping abreast with the latest advancements in sequencing technologies, suggesting new and improved protocols.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology. Chemistry or a similar field.
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience with a DNA Sequencing platform (Sanger and/or NGS), analyzing DNA materials, sequencing workflow management, and undertaking data analysis.
- Strong understanding of quantification and qualification methods of plasmid DNA, including spectrophotometric analysis, and electrophoresis.
- Proven experience working in a high throughput manufacturing environment is necessary and experience with automation tools is preferred.
- Prior team leadership experience will be advantageous and applicants must be able to demonstrate strong communication / team coordination skills.
- Solid knowledge of molecular biology is required, and experience in project management, 5S management, quality management systems will be attractive attributes.