A large global pharmaceutical organisation, providing a wide range of services for the development, manufacture and commercial launch of products for clients around the world.
The Technical Manager is responsible for the management of R&D operations, chemists and labs at the site in central Ireland. Working closely with Team Leads, they will be responsible for the design and safe performance of chemical processes, co-ordinating project work and ensuring timely delivery of materials and results to customers and the transfer of processes within the group.
They will be responsible for the development of their team, and a large focus will be to ensuring that processes operate safely, efficiently, and in compliance with ISO regulations.
- Ensure that the process chemistry, pilot plant and TBE labs deliver the required level of operational performance.
- Manage the chemist/operational resource to ensure that maximum value is added to the business.
- Periodically review the organisation structure within the department to ensure that it is consistent with current business needs.
- Identify, implement and monitor chemistry/pilot plant/TBE operational performance through meaningful metrics.
- Review projects regularly, address any issues and liaise with Project Management, Business Development and Finance to ensure timely and accurate invoicing.
- Aid individuals within the process chemistry/ pilot plant and TBE groups to achieve their full potential by identifying training needs and prioritise and implement training, coaching and mentoring accordingly.
- Perform regular performance reviews of direct reports and oversee performance management for all individuals within the department.
- Identify department and personal business and development objectives.
- Ensure all direct report managers are aware of the strengths, weaknesses and development areas for all staff within the department.
- Instil a culture of continuous improvement within the department and resource and drive individual business improvement projects to ensure that they deliver their objectives.
- Ensure that tidiness and housekeeping are of the highest standard without affecting productivity.
- Represent the department at cross department operational and business review and planning meetings.
- Plan recruitment programmes in line with business need.
- Promote Arran to the pharmaceutical/fine chemical development community.
- Develop multi-year operational plans for the department, aligned with the multi-year business strategy.
- Keep the Site Manager/VP regularly informed of activities and write reports and prepare quotations to win all new business.
- Participate in meetings with customers as required including travel to their site.
- Liaise with and inform the customer regarding progress of the project and whether any changes to the original project scope are required.
- Retain an up to date best in class knowledge of chemistry/equipment and relevant scientific literature.
- Ensure that the Team transfers processes from laboratory to pilot plant to plant with all the necessary process information being communicated to operations, COHA is complete, commercial and QA departments.
- Draw up schedules for pilot plant/kilo lab operations on a weekly/monthly/yearly basis for circulate to the relevant departments.
- Review and approve Batch Sheets for kilo lab, pilot plant and plant processes.
- Review and set specifications for raw materials, intermediates and products – Material Analysis Sheets/Specifications and Certificates of Analysis and Purchasing Specifications.
- Troubleshoot problems in plant and pilot plant operations in collaboration with appropriate managers/supervisors.
- Participate in grant applications and compile yearly R&D Tax Credit reports
- Draft EPA Notifications for New Processes at pilot plant and plant scale.
- Other duties deemed business critical from the line manager.
- Degree in Chemistry or a related discipline. Postgraduate qualifications would be preferred.
- Significant experience of chemistry process design, scale-up and tech transfer. Practical experience of biocatalysis is especially attractive, as is the set-up of processes off-site.
- Experience managing direct reports – specifically scientific staff to deliver process scale-up – this role will have both direct and indirect reports. Able to organise, oversee and prioritise tasks for multiple teams.
- Project management with experience tracking budgets and setting metrics.
- Experience working with customers and preparing quotations is highly advantageous.
- Proficiency with chemical database applications like Reaxys and Scifinder would be beneficial.